Hungryneck Overpass Opens Sunday
New link a key part to Hwy. 17 overhaul.
Beginning at 9 a.m. on Sunday, traffic coming from Interstate 526 Eastbound Exit 29 onto Hungryneck Boulevard and traffic from Hungryneck Boulevard onto I-526 Westbound will be able to follow the new overhead signs to utilize the new overpass over U.S. 17.
Though the opening is a key part of the Hwy. 17 overhaul, which is expected to be completely finished by mid February, there will be some evening road closures that motorists should keep in mind.
The intersection of U.S. 17 at I-526 Exit 29 and Hungryneck Boulevard continues to be closed each night from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. this Friday, January 18 until Saturday, January 26 (ending at 6 a.m. on Sunday morning). The closure of this intersection detours all U.S. 17 traffic, Hungryneck Boulevard traffic between U.S. 17 and Venning Road, the I-526 Exit Ramp onto U.S. 17, and the ramp from U.S. 17 onto I-526.
These nightly closures are necessary to paint the girders for the bridge over the intersection. When weather conditions (rain or extremely cold temperatures) are not conducive to painting, the nightly closures are being shifted to a following night.
- Highway 17 north bound traffic (heading to Awendaw) can follow detour signs to Bowman Road, just before the new Johnnie Dodds/Bowman Road overpass, take a left onto Bowman Road, continue onto Mathis Ferry Road, and follow Mathis Ferry Road north to US 17. Should Highway 17 northbound traffic either miss the Bowman road exit before the new overpass or want to use Rifle Range Road, there is also a signed detour turning right from US 17 at the Wando Crossing shopping center (just after the Chuck Dawley (I-526) Overpass), then right onto Stuart Engals Boulevard, left onto Bowman Road, and left onto Rifle Range Road to US 17.
- Highway 17 south bound traffic (heading towards Charleston) shall follow detour signs right onto Mathis Ferry Road.
- Hungryneck Boulevard traffic is being rerouted to and from US 17 via Venning Road.
- I-526 Exit 29 Traffic from I-526 to US 17 N (Georgetown) is being rerouted to Long Point Road or US 17 to Bowman Road.
- Northbound US 17 Traffic to I-526 Westbound can use the US 17/I-526 Interchange.